One of the best supplements to aid in fat loss, improved energy, gaining strength and more is L-Carnitine.
L-Carnitine is a nutrient that is found in the body which is bio-synthesized from the amino acids lysine and methionine. L-Carnitine is needed within living cells for the transport of fatty acids. Helping move the fatty acids from the cytosol (intracellular fluid) to the mitochondria (membrane enclosed subunit within cells) during the breakdown of the fatty acids within cells, which in turn leads to the production of metabolic energy.
So now that you know what L-Carnitine is, I’m sure you are wondering…
What are the benefits of L-Carnitine?
1. Fat Loss
L-Carnitine has many beneficial properties that make it an ideal supplement for aiding in fat loss.
- As mentioned above, L-Carnitine helps with the transport of fatty acids. More specifically it helps with the transport of LCT’s (long-chain triglycerides) into mitochondria. Once transported to the mitochondria, they are oxidized and used as energy. Burning fat instead of storing it!
- L-Carnitine also helps to reduce fatigue and reduces appetite, making it amazingly beneficial for fat loss.
2. Improved Performance
- Studies conducted for The Journal of Physiology demonstrated the benefits of L-Carnitine for increasing performance.
- Researchers did placebo studies to see the true effects of L-Carnitine on the body. The patients were all experienced athletes who were training for a triathlon three to five days a week. After 24 weeks of supplementation, the group who took L-Carnitine had increased performance by 11%, while the placebo group had no improvements in performance.
3. Increased Work Capacity
- With higher L-Carnitine levels, you will have a much greater work capacity.
- L-Carnitine helps to eliminate the by-products of intense training and decrease lactic acid build up. This will allow you to push yourself even harder in the gym.
4. Faster Recovery
- Since L-Carnitine decreases the amount of lactic acid build up in the muscles, it greatly reduces recovery time.
- Less lactic acid means less soreness and greater energy, which leads to much faster muscle recovery.
5. Enhanced Brain Function/Cognition
- L-Carnitine acts as an antioxidant, and helps to detox the brain of heavy metals.
- Not only does this improve brain function but it can also increase attention span, improve mood and increased overall cognition of the brain.
6. Diabetes Prevention and Improved Insulin Health
- As mentioned above, L-Carnitine acts as an antioxidant.
- This means it will also help reduce oxidative stress and abolish free radicals as well as increasing glucose oxidation, storage of glucose and even glucose uptake, which play a key role in improving insulin health and preventing diabetes.
7. Replenish L-Carnitine Levels of Breast Feeding Women
- If you’re a new Mommy and are breast feeding, it will lower the amount of L-Carnitine in your body.
- New mothers have slightly higher levels of L-Carnitine then the average person to help compensate for this loss. However, supplementing with L-Carnitine will get the levels back up, and with great fat loss benefits, it will also help to burn off that extra bit of stubborn baby weight.
8. Stronger Bones
- L-Carnitine has been proven to improve bone mineral density by suppressing bone turnover.
9. Improved Kidney Health
- Your kidneys produce L-Carnitine
- When people have been diagnosed with a kidney problem or may have one, doctors will often recommend L-Carnitine supplementation to help make up for the deficiency.
With so many benefits, L-Carnitine is an amazing product that can help many people. Supplementing with L-Carnitine is very inexpensive, and is a great addition to anyone’s supplement stack. It comes in both flavoured liquid (which taste amazing) and pill form.
There is no reason to think twice about giving L-Carnitine a try. It’s a great supplement that is low cost and tastes amazing. I personally recommend Optimum Nutrition, Dymatize and Pro Source L- Carntine.
If you enjoyed this blog post please leave a comment, like and share.
Download our Top 5 Supplements by clicking HERE.
Rob King is a Competitive PowerLifter, Coach and Writer.